While our elementary students are assigned to schools based on their residential address with the Destination 3-1-1 model, we will offer parents the opportunity to request permission to attend an elementary school other than their residential-assigned school.
If you wish to request to enroll your child in a school other than the one he/she would attend based on your address, you must complete and submit an Application for School Choice during the application window. The district will approve applications on an “as needed” basis. However, parents must understand and agree that approval will be on an annual basis, the child must meet all eligibility requirements, the enrollment of the child must not adversely affect class size or school accreditation and the parent must provide transportation.
Due to the uncertainty of 5-year-old Kindergarten enrollment, District Three reserves the right to delay approval or deny 5-year-old Kindergarten students until Mid-August. Please note: elementary school choice does not apply to our federally funded 4-year-old programs.
Our Elementary School Choice window has closed for the upcoming school year.
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Rodney Goode at [email protected]Application Process / School Choice Criteria
Parents must consider the following when completing an application for School Choice:
- Parents who exercise School Choice must provide transportation for their children to and from school. Prompt drop off and pick up of students each day is required.
- Attendance, discipline and grades are all factors used in making school choice decisions.
- Class size standards as determined by the Board of Trustees will be used to determine availability of space. Schools at full capacity as determined by official enrollment numbers are closed for choice. Schools which have limited spaces only in certain grades and/or programs will be noted.
- Once choice is granted students must remain at the choice school through the entire school year, after which time parents could apply for another choice school.
- Parents may prioritize choice options up to 3 choices. Students not granted their first choice may be offered their second or third choice, although all criteria will be used in reviewing all applications.
- All applications will be reviewed using the School Choice criteria and priorities for School Choice.
- Before applying for a School Choice option at the middle school level, parents and students should be aware of the rules of the South Carolina High School League which determines eligibility for interscholastic athletics and activities for middle and high school students. The principal and athletic director at each middle school should be consulted. Please note - any rising 8th grade student who accepts a choice option may lose one year of athletic eligibility.
- All School Choice Applications will be considered, however, there is no guarantee that a choice request will be fulfilled in every case.
In 2020-2021 School Year for Out-of-District Employee
- Employees must notify Assistant Superintendent of Student Services of plans to have their child attend SSD3 school(s) prior to May 1st each year.
- Letter of release is obtained from employee’s home district.
Out-of-District School Choice Applicant - Non Employee
- Out of District fees will apply.
- Letter of release is obtained from employee’s home district
- If you currently live outside Spartanburg School District Three's attendance zone, please complete an Out-of-District School Choice Application.